Tonga 10 – Leaving Niue

June 4, 2019

We left Niue last night but I didn’t write because Joe took my watch and everyone else’s. I don’t know why he did but sometimes it’s just easier to let him do what he wants.

Niue was an amazing experience. We met the kind folks from the yacht club with no yachts, had fantastic snorkeling, ate great food, met interesting people, and learned many things. Marin’a interest in herbal medicines was the reason we signed up to go on a nature tour with Misa, a gentleman that grew up in the forests of Niue.

He showed us all kinds of things about the plants and animals of Niue, from how to split and tie vines to which roots to cut and boil to harvesting wild yams and catching coconut crabs. All of us got to hold one of his fruit bats and we later used our new-found knowledge of coconut cuisine to crack open and eat a sprouted coconut when we found ourselves hungry and snackless.

We visited the local primary school and were warmly welcomed by teacher Miss Cat and her 5/6 class as well as all the other students and teachers at the school. They let us attend their Friday assembly and performed ukulele and other dogs as well as a traditional dance. They very attentively listened to the ARC kids talk about their experiences as well. Then all the kids got to learn some traditional crafts and run around together.

So many other experiences we had will have to be recounted later. Now we are on the final leg to Tonga, with one motor on and the other disabled due to a dangling reef line in the water that wrapped around our starboard propeller and broke the coupling. The reef line was in the water because we dropped the main because the mast was moving in a way that it shouldn’t and Joe widely decided to take some pressure off it until we can figure out what’s going on. In and amongst all of this fun, the steering quit working and Sky called on the radio to find out why we had slowed to 5 knots and were going in circles. Joe reassured them that we were Ok, then found a valve that was off that was supposed to be on and we regained steering.

So we have one functioning engine and one sail that Joe has jury-rigged (still haven’t repaired the luff tape due to lack of supplies) and we should arrive in Tonga mid-day tomorrow with another set of boat repairs to complete.

Photos of gorgeous sunset at Akelele Beach, Marin gobbling coconut with Misa, and Tully enjoying a Coke at the most beautiful mini golf course in the world.

Leave a Reply